Sunday, June 13, 2010

El principio de mi trabajo


Sorry its been a while since my last post, I´ve been trying to get my interviews together. I have decided to interview between 10 and 15 people (heads of families) about their current health conditions in comparison to their health in their respective homelands. My goal is to compile somewhat of a study regarding the health needs of the people of Soacha and surrounding villages. Soacha is a municipality completely distinct from Bogotá, although it barely seems so as the two areas seem to mesh together. Apparently there is a yellow building which distinguishes Bogotá from Soacha. This week I did some traveling into the villages surrounding Soacha. These are not legal towns, but there is a process to make them so. The people living there do not have addresses and must walk miles to get what they need from the city of Soacha. I am excited to start my research and interviews and I pray that they will work out well. I am also considering creating a survey to pass out to the community members to get an overview of the health needs of the many people I will not be able to reach with my interviews. With this information, I will compile a document for SJR and hopefully be able to offer something to the organization. Other than work, Fellowship life is pretty lonely sometimes. I´ve met a bunch of people from here, but its hard to cover up homesickness sometimes. The picture to the left is of a boy who was really interested in my camera. He took a few pictures and then handed it back to me, almost instantly making this face. He lives in El Manzano, a small village of about 50 people on the outskirts of Soacha. The next one is a picture of the view from El Manzano of Soacha. At the bottom is one of the houses. The people have made their home here and built their houses by hand. Yes, they do have electricity but I do believe it is a fairly recent acquisition. I am unsure of how they get their water though. Right now, a member from SJR is helping them create huertas, small farming areas to grow things like beans, potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, and corn. The people have had to learn to grow food native to Bogotá, as many of them are not able to grow the foods they used to due to the change in altitude and temperature.

Of course I had to take another picture of the sunset today. I have fallen in love with my camera and try not to take her everywhere so she does not get stolen. Ill try to take some more pictures this week to give you all a better view of what I am doing.
Yesterday I went downtown to watch the USA-England fútbol game with a bunch of English-speakers. We managed to fill the bar and it was pretty fun. I then walked around downtown for a while and found a beautiful church and some great artisan markets. GO USA!
word of the day: rumbiar--to go out dancing/partying. as in--No quiero trabajar esta noche, vamos a rumbiar!!
I hope all of you are doing well, and if you have questions or comments, please email me at pattersone1@xavier.edu.
Que Dios le bendiga
Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment